Monday, August 24, 2009

Jazz: Still Alive and Well

The noted journalist and Jazz at Lincoln Center patron Doug Garr commented on my last post, which poked fun at what many perceive as the stodgy nature of some of the Lincoln Center Jazz programming. You're absolutely right about Wynton, Doug. I think he is in some ways underrated. Wynton is an outstanding player and I'd love to hear him play in a trumpet cutting session along the lines you suggest. Thanks for standing up for him. My flippant remarks were more a criticism of form than content. It's great that Wynton has been able to elevate jazz to the same level of support that European classical music enjoys. I really love the emotional impact of his New Orleans-inspired work and it's always exciting to hear him play in NOLA.

No comments: